Top Ten Reasons to Homeschool Your Child!
1. Customized Curriculum - Unlike public school that engages in a "factory-like" or "one size fits all" model of education, when you homeschool your child, you and your child will work together to determine what they learn. They'll have more time to focus on their favorite subjects!
2. No homework - Lots of research has concluded that homework, especially in grades K-6, has little value for children. Plus, homework tends to only cause children and parents lots of late evening stress! Minimize the household stress when you homeschool and do all of your work during the day and save evenings for family time!
3. Flexible Schedules - When you homeschool your child, you make the schedule that works for you family. Some families homeschool 3 days per week; others 2-3 hours per day; and still others homeschool only on the weekends or in the evenings. Schedule education around you and your child's needs!
4. Tailored Socializing - Did you know that homeschool children have better social skills than public school kids? Homeschooled children tend to have more tailored and managed social experiences, meaning parents have more control over whom and when they socialize. Some families engage in homeschool activities 5 days a week or more and others limit it to one day per week.
5. More Sleep - Homeschooled children average 1.5 hours more sleep than public school kids! It's no wonder they outperform public and private school kids on standardized tests.
6. Healthy Eating - We all know that school lunch leaves a lot to be desired in the nutrition department. Homeschooled kids typically eat healthier because they aren't rushing to pack high calorie, high sugar foods into their lunch bags each morning and they typically have a parent managing what they eat at each meal.
7. Closer Sibling Relationships - Spending the entire day being educated with your siblings can become overwhelming at times, but research shows it also increases the closeness of sibling relationships. Who could forget their science lab partner when it's always your older brother!
8. Endless Electives - Does your child beg to take Russian, desire study the animals of the remote Easter Island, or plead to take fencing lessons? When you homeschool your child, the sky's the limit when it comes to picking subjects for them to study.
9. More Physical Activity - Traditional school students sit for a long time every day. That's boring... and bad for your health. Homeschooled kids tend to get way more exercise and physical activity in each day. Many homeschoolers ride bikes, go hiking, or sign up for other sports lessons during the day when other kids are at school.
10. Your Child Will Be Happier - Most homeschoolers seem to be happier than public school kids. They get more sleep, often get to decide what (and when) they learn, their lessons are way more interesting and engaging, and they get to exercise, play and have fun for a longer period of time each day. Who wouldn't be happier with that lifestyle?!